Wednesday 6 March 2019

Light bulb idea

Today in the Y13 Physics class we were discussing Simple Harmonic Motion and I was explaining to the group about the direction of force and how it is always opposing the motion. There were too many variables: distance from equilibrium, direction of motion, velocity etc. This proved very confusing and some students got it but a few were still confused when asked the same questions using different scenarios. It was getting exhausting for them trying to understand, and me to explain. This was stuck in my head - I neeed to get them to understand this...but how....


Thinking about it now - I feel that if I had used the term "restoring force" that would make it easier to understand/explain. This is because by definition restoring means bring back, replace, etc.  People learn in different ways. Will see how we go in the next class, but seems like this should definitely work.

 

1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Jay, great that you can reflect here on your teaching. Would an online lab help understanding? https://phet.colorado.edu/en/search?q=simple+harmonic+motion

    Maria

    ReplyDelete